Archive Characters Gallery Chupapedia Game

Four of a Kind

Shuffle | Flop | Turn | River


Turn


York was surprised when Wash actually accepted the cookie, though it still took him a few seconds to grudgingly pluck it out of Samael's palm. A warm sensation danced along his spine at the sight and he smiled while pulling a vinyl record out from a well-worn sleeve to place lovingly onto the turntable as Samael's voice rang out.

"Hell, hon, I don't want Wash stealin' all my chips, too, this here cookie's just a bribe to keep him from cleanin' out both our banks!"

York grinned to himself and moved the needle over, a soft crackle popping through the speakers for a few seconds before the silky tones of a saxophone began drifting through the room. Their first little get-together hadn't yet fractured into the strange, delicate parts from which it had been so cautiously crafted. It was going better than he'd expected, no matter how high his hopes. Especially with the fact Wash was still seated at the table even after Andee's jabs about Tex. Leave it to the angry little bat, though, to jam a knife immediately into the most sensitive part of the beast.

"Ay, what is this, some fuckin' fuckin'-music?" Andee inquired while squinting over his shoulder as York ambled to the table full of food and booze. "You still tryin' to make that foursome happen, ya big oaf??"

"Hey, we're four good-lookin' guys, I'd say that alone is a qualification to take a trip to orgy-town!" York admonished even as he winked and waved a hand before Wash's face could screw up too terribly. "Just shut up and enjoy the tunes, everyone likes jazz."

"Yet another thing you chupa-fucks stole from us," Andee complained with a huff, though York caught the way he relaxed in the chair and comfortably worked through the last of his beer as the soft music filled the bunk.

York grabbed another two beers with one hand along with another random jar of Samael's moonshine, then sauntered back to the table. His eyes fell onto Wash first, who was nibbling warily at the cookie while he gave a leery gaze to Samael and Andee both. But the former was only smiling happily as the bat tipped the last few drops of his bottle into his muzzle, clearly doing his best to not show he cared about Wash's opinion. York shook his head in gentle amusement. Andee and Samael were definitely something...unique.

He'd more than once expressed honest concern to Samael about his relationship, but it had also never gone past the point of asking Samael if he was okay. York knew too well he was one of the few people on Sirca that Samael let get so close, and it was because of that he also knew he'd never be able to talk Samael out of his pursuit of Andee. It might have been a terrible idea, but York was no stranger to terrible ideas. His own dogged chase for the spark he'd felt for Wash ever since that frigid cave in Sampi was anything but sensible. Lord, though, so far most of Wash's worst crimes were just a genuine lack of understanding for how relationships worked and perhaps a few too-cold shoulders. Seemed kind of easy to deal with when compared to Andee's...everything.

It wasn't hard to tell Andee cared about Samael in his own way, but the little guy was sometimes such a bastard with how he tried to cover it up or hide it. York knew how powerful a need for denial could be, though. And of all the cursed souls on Sirca to try and deal with it, it'd be a lie to say anyone was more well-suited than Samael Wurlitz. All the two pals could do for each other was do what they did best: provide a little smoothness when the friction got too hot.

He hid his grin and held one of the two bottles of beer out to Wash. "How's that weird cookie, little buddy?"

Wash huffed, accidentally spilling a few crumbs in what was likely the initial hints of inebriation while reaching out to take the bottle from him. York wouldn't have been surprised to learn the pretzels -- and first careful bites of cookie -- were the only things Wash had eaten in the last several hours. "It isn't that weird," he mumbled, despite what he'd said only a few minutes ago. "What is it with you and calling vegetables and fruits weird?"

York was all grins as he squeezed Samael's shoulder while passing behind him to offer Andee the other beer. "Hey, now, you know I don't have a problem with fruits, at least -- especially bananas."

The wide-eyed stare from Wash as he choked on a bit of the cookie was oh so worth it, his best friend wheezing and doubling over as Samael giggled and leaned to one side to gently pat Wash's back. Wash flailed at him with the bottle but Samael ignored it easily. York chuckled and set the second container of moonshine down in front of the redneck before plopping back into his chair as Wash caught his breath and gave him a offended look.

"Goddammit, York!" Wash pushed away Samael's arm, but continued to nibble disconsolately at the cookie as he held the bottle of beer to his chest. "Anyway, it's. Not bad."

"I'm glad to hear it!" Samael replied cheerfully, watching Wash for a few more seconds before flinching as Andee flicked his bottle cap against the side of his head. "Ow! Damn, ya li'l dive-bombin' dick-fiend, you gonna take out someone's eye with one'a them caps tonight!"

"Good, we'll put it in the pot, then it'll be a real fuckin' game," Andee shot back before poking a claw into the jar York had given to the redneck. "This another one'a your fuckin' experimental ones?"

York tilted his head curiously while he began putting the deck back together to start shuffling. "Damn, Sammy, you do all this brewing 'n baking just for tonight?"

Samael gave a helpless smile and shrug while prying off the lid to his jar. "Heh. Mebbe." He set aside the top and first offered it to Andee, who wrinkled his muzzle and then suddenly widened his eyes.

"Oh shit, you actually fuckin' tried this?" Andee exclaimed, likely with far more excitement than he intended. "How'd it fuckin' turn out, Fiffy?"

York sniffed at the air curiously before blinking when he detected...was that mint? Samael grinned contentedly at Andee's elation, propping his head up with one hand while plucking a cookie off the nearby plate for himself. "Haw, it ain't killed me, so I figger coulda gone worse. But you take a sip, lemme know!"

York got busy shuffling the deck with the same inquisitive smile before he tilted his head toward Wash when he mumbled around his bottle: "So...so you just...put random shit in your moonshine? And your cookies? And you just expect it to work out?"

York's thoughtful gaze moved back to Samael while his claws swiftly cut and split the deck three times before recombining it in a neat arched shuffle. Samael was still smiling buoyantly, his tail swaying behind him as he licked the crumbs from his fingers and then paused to focus on Andee when the bat smacked his lips loudly after a guzzle from the jar of potent liquor.

Andee screwed up his muzzle before his tongue suddenly lolled out while his whole body slumped somewhat. "Ooh...shit, Fiffy, this fuckin' jxak aj kxo jxaaaaaak..." he rumbled, a very strange little coo escaping his maw while he grinned happily. "Damn, ya tat houc weet..."

Samael giggled and carefully pulled the jar out of Andee's grip before he winked over at the other two. "Guess that's a sign of approval when my li'l wingding starts mixin' tongues." He sniffed at the moonshine and then shook his shoulders a bit. "Fuck but that did come out smellin' nice..." He tipped it back for a quick swallow before grunting and closing his eyes. "Na'bad at all..." He then peeked over at Wash with another toothy smile. "But hell yeah, 's how I done things m'whole life, hon! I shove things into other things 'n see if I'm left feelin' fuzzy, funky or some mix'a the two! Them's Sampi-instincts right there!"

"They sound more like whore instincts," Wash mumbled before his own muzzle wrinkled delicately. "That smells...minty." York watched bemusedly as Andee cracked open one eye from his temporary delirium.

But rather than the denial or cursing York expected, Andee only grinned crookedly and waved a wing a few times. "Go on, Fiffy.

Cok kxo jigahhoc khy...I'll kick'izz ass if he don't like it, since it was my idea for ya to make this'n..."

Wash gave the jar a suspicious look and then took a moment to throw in the small blind. "Hmmph..." His eyes slid back to York, who only smiled encouragingly while flicking a card to each spot around the table. "I dunno..."

"You can try mine if ya like, instead -- it's nice and tangy!" York offered with a laugh, tossing out everyone's second pocket card and then holding out his own container of moonshine as he and Samael produced matching grins.

Wash huffed and, across the table, Andee...tittered. York wasn't expecting that and he glanced over at the bat with a lifted eyebrow while stifling his laugh. Samael wasn't kidding about how quickly moonshine went to work on that little bastard. It was enough to make Wash purse his lips before groaning in defeat and setting his bottle down so he could reach first for York's container. "Ugh, fine, only because I don't want to hear all night how I'm such a pussy or whatever," he complained.

"Y'ain't gonna regret it," Samael purred, setting down his jar long enough to move two hundred-chips into the middle of the table. "We's all 'bout moderation 'round here, ain't we?"

"Oh yeah, that's totally what we're all about," Wash mumbled as he took an ever-so-careful sip of the citrus-infused liquor. His feature twisted into a confused moue at first while his eyes bulged, no doubt from how strong the stuff was. "G-geezus!" Wash wheezed even as he swallowed down the gulp and then pounded a fist against his chest with several coughs. "Oh...oh god, it burns..." he gasped as his other hand clutched into the end of the table. York grinned curiously and tilted his head at Samael before studying Wash again. After a second or two, his partner frowned and then took another hesitant slurp from the jar -- he didn't react nearly as dramatically this time, even if York heard the light scraping of his claws along the card table.

"Sooo?" York inquired with a chuckle, accepting the moonshine back. "Better or worse than jet fuel?"

"Oh shit yeah, I'm in this hand," Andee mumbled while throwing a couple of chips forward, distracting York long enough to check his own hole cards and then smile slightly before meeting the blinds, himself. Two Fours -- not the strongest pair, but a pair all the same.

Wash worked his muzzle open and shut a few times, then grumbled and settled his eyes on Samael's jar. "Pretty sure you guys made me drink some at least once in Specials...I guess it's not that bad." He passed his tongue across his lips as York beamed at him. "I could actually taste the tangerelon," he admitted.

York couldn't help but recall the last time they'd discussed fruity liquor. Not everything about their conversation in that hayloft had been joyful, and York himself still felt a little sour about some of the details. What they'd shared afterward was still a beautiful moment he clutched close to his heart, no doubt, but inevitability had a way of piercing the veil of bliss no matter how carefully he tried to pull it shut. Both Wash and Samael had asked him if he was jealous of Tex, and he'd told them both the truth. Hell, he still was. How couldn't he be? The only thing on the table in that game was Wash's heart, otherwise it was easy, simple, risk-free.

...But Tex wasn't here tonight, was she? Wash was, and he was still here even after Andee's callous invocation of their "relationship". That was what York held onto, because this was real, too. The night in the hayloft sometimes felt like a dream, regardless of the little physical bouts they'd shared since then. Always something threatened with a return to the real world, by waking up and realizing the memories were nothing but gossamer strands of imagination, merely sandcastles built with wishful thinking that would always crumble when pitted against the crushing tides of reality. So having this night, a night not steeped in extreme emotions both pleasant and sharp, a night where they could just spend time together with Sirca's other mistake, another couple who had no business being together -- something about that was precious.

Maybe it was just a stupid little lark he and Samael thought up in the wake of one helluva sex-field-trip, but he had no regrets. This was something they'd all needed.

"Well, shocktop?? Wha's the verdict, izzit fuckin' great or what?!"

Andee's voice drew York back and he gazed at Wash before grinning in surprise to see him taking what must have been a second wary taste of the mint-flavored moonshine. Talk about breaking down inhibitions; he had to suppress the praise he wanted to pour all over Wash, since he knew the little guy hated being patronized. But lord, was York ever proud.

Wash exhaled quickly and winced while rubbing at his throat and handing the jar back to Samael. But despite the way his eyes watered, there was a subtle glint of appreciation in his features. "Ugh, I...I thought it'd just be like mouthwash, but...it's...good. It doesn't burn the same way, it's. Cool when it goes down."

York didn't blame Samael for the grin he couldn't repress, the redneck nudging Wash's bottle of beer back toward him while enjoying another taste of the moonshine. "Haw, 's always cool when I go down, y'know what I mean?"

"No it ain't!" Andee interjected as everyone's eyes shifted to him. But the bat only grinned again with his head propped up on the table in both arms. "It's fuckin' hot."

Samael giggled as he batted affectionately at his companion with his tail while Wash huffed and snatched up his beer again to hold to his chest, his features flushing in that flustered way that drove York crazy. York grinned at the sight, shifting a leg beneath the table to rub against one of Wash's. His partner immediately looked up at him but didn't scowl, only puffing his cheeks out somewhat as a warm thrum ran through York's core. "Hey...you and Samael are...you're gettin' us drunk so you can win, aren't you?" he protested in a voice that was very much not a protest.

Wash peered at his two cards as York chuckled easily and reached over to rub his shoulder. "Now I'm just hurt you'd even think such a thing!" York replied even as he and Samael shared a wink across the table.

"I think such a thing is a perfectly normal thing to think," Wash uttered while meeting the rest of the blind. "You two are like...like...devious ex-boyfriends, except you were never boyfriends. And you also still have sex all the time, which is gross."

York failed to stifle the snicker and Samael gave an outright laugh while tapping the table "Check fer me. And hey now, it ain't always gross, we usually clean up purdy good," Samael insisted before giggling again when Andee plucked his cap off to slap at the rebel's arm.

"Your idea of a fuckin' shower is a run through a fuckin' garden hose, like that's gonna wash off the musk of that lumberjack o'er there!" Andee retorted as he jabbed his other wing at York. "Anyway, ya know our stupid meatheads probably both got about a million exes behind 'em, they's pros at the ol' splash an' dash, so they ain't the ones you gotta worry about gettin' revenge!"

It was odd to have Wash not only agree with Andee, but barely even flinch at being lumped into anything with the bat, and yet Wash nodded emphatically at Andee's words, glaring between York and Samael with an over-exaggerated huff. "That's true. How many angry past lovers do me'n Andee gotta worry about showing up to make trouble?" The inebriation was starting to slip into Wash's voice, but this time York was okay with it. It was kind of goddamn adorable without the looming shadow of Wash's other relationship making things distressing.

York nonetheless felt a gentle ache as he reached up and squeezed his key briefly. Samael caught the gesture and the two shared a softer smile before York chuckled easily as he dropped the first three cards face up. "Whoa, whoa, I gotta say, not all my exes were left angry and jealous..." He glanced at the flop -- Queen, Five and an Eight. Didn't help him much. "I'd say I left a few plenty happy people in the past!"

His eyes shifted to Wash, who'd set aside his growing drunkenness long enough to give York an apologetic frown. York smiled affectionately at him, reaching over to squeeze his wrist briefly in appreciation and then clearing his throat as he tossed a grin back into place. "But even if we are countin' the pissed-off ones...a million's a bit of a stretch! No more than a hundred, two, tops!" he exclaimed as Samael let his own delighted chortle ring out. York could always count on his weird little redneck pal to help stave off the more uncomfortable moments. He paused long enough for Wash to roll a five-hundred chip into the pot, smiling at the bet and then leaning forward to squint playfully at Samael. "But we all know that little competition between me and Sammy was never even close -- he'd have half the ring ganging up on him at this point if they knew where he was!!"

Samael guffawed and shrugged easily, meeting Wash's raise with a wink. "Sheeeeeit, I can't help it, it's part'a muh job!!"

"Oh don't fuckin' go on like that, Fiffy, like you wouldn't have most of ya own goddamn family gunnin' for you, too, the way you was incestin' all throughout Sampi before you even started this rebel shit!" Andee protested. York grinned and Samael -- unflappable as ever -- only rolled his eyes innocently while Andee glared at the flop.

"C'mon, now, y'know all my cousins gave me five-star ratin's...if anythin', they's just hopin' I make another trip out there soon to teach 'em all my latest new moves!" Samael crowed.

Wash made a disgusted sound but it didn't stop him from awkwardly reaching for the plate of cookies, which Samael was quick to move closer before Andee could notice. York smiled slightly at this -- and the way Wash puffed out a little breath before snagging another apple cookie -- and then blinked when Andee triumphantly slammed down two thousand worth of chips in front of himself; it was more than three-quarters of his bank. "I'll see that baby-bitch bet 'n then raise it to two grand!" he announced before sniffing and shoving a claw into the end of Samael's muzzle. "Goddammit, Fiffy, if you ever do drag my ass out there, I'mma find out once and for-fuckin'-all if all that incest shit's true, you ain't never denied it!!"

"Well, now, why'd I go'n do that when it's so fun to let y'all wonder 'bout it?" Samael teased before flashing another grin toward Andee. "Hot damn, son, yer jus' tryin' to get us bankrupted now, ain'tcha?"

York laughed and spared a moment to study Andee's features -- the booze was starting to get to the bat, too, but oddly enough, it was making him a little harder to read. Eh, he had the chips to spare. "Oh, this is gettin' fun enough that I might offer to buy him back in next time," York snickered, pushing forward the same number of chips before relaxing in his chair and enjoying another sample of the citrus-y moonshine.

All eyes moved to Wash, who screwed up his features and glanced around the table, then grumbled and poked a few chips into the pot as well. "Yeah, yeah, you jerks are gonna be jerks if I don't," he mumbled. He then glanced over at York, his eyes lighting onto the key for a few seconds while Samael finished the round with a call. "Anyway, we shouldn't, um. Compare our, er...partners'...um...guys'...special friends' number of exes, since they're both whores--"

"Aw, finally someone gets it, I been tryin' to tell everyone back in Xulod that Sammy's special, an' they keep thinkin' I mean 'special as in cute' and not 'special as in would get his head stuck inside a small hole if you told him there was a hot dude or a souped-up truck behind it'!" Andee groused while gesturing wildly to the bag of potato chips next to York. "We got stuck with some fuckin' short-bus motherfuckers, Wash!"

York tried not to grin too much as he passed the chips to Andee while Wash first huffed at being interrupted, but then gave a few nods with a grunt. "...Yeah, okay, that's true," he acquiesced before he puffed his chest out a bit. "But! As. As dumb as my, uh. My dumb battle buddy is..." He lifted his beer with a resolute -- if also tipsy -- smile. "He had the most badass ex to ever walk Sirca. An' that's a fact."

York's heart thumped heavily for a few seconds as he smiled tenderly at Wash and savored the mix of melancholy and adulation. He glanced over at Samael after a moment, not surprised in the least to find those gentle blue eyes locked onto his key. He'd hovered close to telling Samael about her on the speedboat to their little training island, but had ultimately held back. He knew one day he would, and it'd be the day that his already-tight friendship with the little redneck would become even more snug.

And bless Wash, he refrained from mentioning her name, too, only holding his bottle out toward York as the larger chupa reached out with the jar of moonshine to clink the glasses together. "Thanks, little buddy..." Wash gave his own hesitant smile but the affection that bubbled beneath the surface was more than visible enough to York as it sent a wonderful bolt through his emotions.

York took a quick breath to clear the mist, then drew the fourth card for the board. Another Queen, shame. Two pair still wasn't bad, though. But before the lingering emotions could completely trickle away to be replaced with their game, Andee thrust a potato chip into the air with a haughty grunt.

"You think your special-ed mutt has the most notorious ex?" Andee exclaimed before tossing the chip into his muzzle to chew away as he continued to boast, oblivious to the crumbs he scattered from his jaws. "Puh-leeeeze, you forgettin' 'bout Fiffy's kousxoh? Ha, good luck toppin' that!" He then halted in mid-announcement to squint at the board before his grin spread to his cheeks. "Oh shit."

York grinned back curiously as he tried to think if he knew the translation for the word -- he assumed it must have been some kind of a reference to one of Samael's earlier conquests, though. He tipped his eyes toward the stocky chupa, then blinked when he realized Samael's expression had drifted into a wary, almost nervous, smile. Maybe it was someone who was like her to York. Well, no reason to make it weird. "Heh heh, well sure, Andee -- I mean statistically speaking, when you've boned as much of the male population as Sammy, you're bound to land a coupla real winners...y'know, besides me and you, of course..."

As Wash scratched the end of his muzzle, then tapped his cards to check while glaring briefly at York, Andee burst into loud laughter. "Guess I can't fault you there, lap-dog -- you're just a fuckin' oversized beefcake, but I am the cream'a the crop, 'strue!"

Samael still looked considerably anxious and he cleared his throat. "Fuuuuck, them Queens gonna ruin m'goddamn night. Anyway, Andee, since when do you like talkin' about exes, huh? Ain't you jealous enough 'bout the pals I still get nasty with?" He flipped a wink toward York as he also checked, making the gesture almost convincing as York rubbed his muzzle thoughtfully.

"Ay! I don't get fuckin' jealous!!" The look Andee gave York suggested otherwise, but the bat was swift to change his focus to the last few chips in front of him as he pushed them gleefully forward. "I'm all in again, bitches! And don't even pretend that whatever badass ex you got in your rear-view was even half as infamous as--"

He paused as the door cracked open, all four of them peering over to see CT poking her head in with a cautious grin. "Heeeeeey, you crazy kids."

"Yo, what the fuck, lady, can't ya see we's busy in here!" Andee protested. "I'm 'bout to hang all'a these bitches out to dry!"

York didn't miss Samael's relieved wheeze, even as the redneck laughed and jabbed a finger toward her. "Yeah, did we ferget to put out the

no girls allowed sign or what?! I swears I painted one up 'n everythin', had it ready jus' fer tonight!"

"Since when did you become literate, Sammy?" CT teased, pushing the door fully ajar as her eyes drifted over each of them in turn, her expression a mix of relieved and delighted. "I'll be damned, everyone's still breathing, huh?"

York chortled and pushed forward enough chips to match Andee's all-in, his eyes dancing bemusedly at their fellow ex-Freelancer. "What, you thought we wouldn't be? Why would ya ever think that?" he asked playfully.

She snorted, letting one hand drop to a hip before she took a second to gaze around the cleaned-up bunk. "Gee, I wonder. I figured at least one of you would be severely injured by now..."

"There's still time," Wash mumbled while also shoving a matching amount of chips into the pot. "Like Andee's gonna try to do to us after we call the shit outta his bluff."

CT laughed again and then exchanged another emotive smile with York. He'd mentioned the plans to her, yeah, and while he hadn't explicitly asked her to check up on them...he'd had a feeling she would. CT was awesome like that. "I gotta say, between the booze, the junk food, the smooth jams and the fact four polar opposites are sitting down to a friendly game of cards...North would've approved."

York beamed and nodded as he gazed at Wash, then Samael. "Yeah, we figured so, too. Consider it our way of payin' the guy a little more tribute."

Samael lifted his moonshine, and York quickly mimicked him as Wash raised his bottle after a moment...followed by even Andee huffing but stretching his wing out to touch his beer to the others. "Couldn'ta picked a better spot," Samael murmured in agreement as they all paused to take a swig of their respective drinks. He then sighed loudly and pushed in the remainder of his own chips, save a single five-hundred piece. "Lawd, let that Sampi blessin' come on by tonight!"

"Ay, ya incesty fuck, you gave me the smaller half'a the chips!" Andee complained, even as he smirked and then squinted at CT again as she watched them with entertainment. "Yo, this ain't a peep show, woman, unless you's gonna start payin'!!"

She strode in boldly, the same cool smile illuminating her features. "Listen, no one plays poker in L-Base without paying the CT-tax! But since you cute bastards aren't using cash..." She reached for York's moonshine with a wink. "I'll take my fees in alternate currency."

York would never, as long or as briefly as he lived, find a reason to curse CT. The woman was a blessing, a gift that none of them deserved, and he could only smile gratefully for the way the lingering discomfort seemed to fade entirely as she lifted the first jar of liquor to her lips to sample. She tilted her head in astonishment before flashing a grin to Samael. "Damn, this a new recipe? No surprise York went for the fruity one!"

"I tried some too and I liked it," Wash added while crossing his arms stubbornly -- god, that hint of a pout at the mere suggestion of a tease for being stiff-necked was so adorable. The look on CT's face showed she too was appreciating Wash's little drunken deviations. "I even tried the other one, and that one's uh..." He seemed to blank for a moment before Andee piped up.

"Spicy."

"Yeah. It's spicy," Wash asserted while York and Samael both hid their amused grins. CT didn't bother, laughing aloud and moving confidently to the other side of the table so she could snatch up Samael's jar as well.

Samael twisted around to peer up at her, though York picked out the playful smile behind the exasperated huff. "Y'know, it's one thing fer Andee to complain 'bout gettin' my germs on his brew, but now yer gonna get yer cooties on mine!!"

"Oh, Sammy, Sammy, Sammy...you think you're the only one in the room with the skills to bring someone to the dark side. But one day I'll pull a Pony Special on you and we'll see who's complaining about cooties!" she fired back as Samael feigned a horrified gasp while Andee seemed torn between a glare and a scoff of disbelief.

CT licked her lips curiously after a sip of the mint-infused moonshine, grunting in surprise and then setting it back down to snag a cookie from the plate. "Christ, you went all out for your little gay tea party! Shit's good."

"Ay, you know it is, my Fiffy don't fuck around in the kitchen! I mean, unless we're actually fuckin' around, in which case don't mind the extra cream-fillin' in the pastries!" Andee declared, earning a groan from Wash and matching cackles from York and Samael as CT merely cocked a hip and took a very purposeful bite from the cookie. "And besides, you ain't got the right appliances in your kitchen to get my puppy's batter whipped up, so get the fuck outta heah widdat threat!!"

CT was all grins as she spoke around the cookie. "Don't you worry, bat, they got hardware for everything these days. I wouldn't come empty-handed...but Sammy might!"

Samael exploded into a gale of laughter as Wash's eyes bulged in shock, even York stunned for a moment before he broke into a helpless giggling fit himself. CT finished off the cookie with a satisfied flick of her tail, nodding her approval and winking to the table. "Seems like everything's in order here, then. You fellas carry on, I'll check up on you guys for alcohol poisoning and stab wounds in the morning."

She paused to smile down at Wash and place a hand on his shoulder, a gesture that brought a smile to York's features even as he felt a twist of something else, too. Heh, but those two always had been close. He'd have to see about helping them figure out just how close they were one day -- Wash deserved having his own Sammy, didn't he?

York was sure it wasn't jealousy he tossed over a shoulder as Wash grumbled and huffed at the reassuring hand, even as he flicked up a tiny smile. CT gave them both a warm look, then continued to saunter out of the room while calling back: "Make North proud for me, boys!" She halted in the doorway with a wistful but magnanimous gaze back to the quartet. "He woulda loved to see the four of you getting along." She offered a friendly salute, then pulled the door shut to leave them to their game in peace once more.

Andee was the first to huff loudly and take a moody guzzle from his beer. "Women. Think they can just bust into a room, make moves on my redneck. Fuckin' rude."

Wash jutted his chin forward in a matching show of protest, perhaps even cuter than before with his dramatic outcry. "Yeah! Women, right? Always thinking the worst about us guys." York masked his grin, noting the way Samael had propped up his muzzle to watch Wash with delight. It really was kind of amazing what the little guy started to show once he was relaxed and under the influence a bit.

York wished he could see it more often...but maybe this really was that right step forward like he and Samael had hoped.

"Can you believe she...she had to check up on us?" Wash continued while York placed down the river card -- a Four. Well, well, well, that made him a nice little full house -- and then sipped on the moonshine as his best friend puffed his cheeks out. "Like...like we aren't perfectly mature adults who, who can handle ourselves and our differences and whatever, geez!"

"Preach it, sister!" Samael called out, snagging a cookie to hold it up in solidarity with Wash's sentiment. "Them womenfolk always assumin' we're gonna bork things up all the time...really, it's only like...sixty, seventy percent'a the time!" He grinned over at York, who smiled back easily.

"Well, I am staying in this hand so I can take the rest of Andee's chips," Wash mumbled smugly. "And then we'll show Connie, we won't even stab each other once."

"No promises, squirrel-boy!" Andee cheerfully called back, but his excited features didn't show any real animosity. "C'mon, Fiffy, toss in that last five hundo, don't be a fuckin' puss!"

Samael huffed at him...but then smirked and flicked his final chip into the pot. "Sheeeeit, yer a bad influence, hon," he chuckled, settling back into the chair and taking another nip from his jar of liquor while Andee only wiggled his shoulders confidently and drummed both hands impatiently against the edge of the table with a squint at York.

"C'mon, big boy, meet the last'a Fiffy's raise, let's get it on!!"

"Yanno, technically, Samael's raise goes into a side pot just for the three of us," Wash began as Andee flashed him a fiery glare. York opened his muzzle to ease whatever potential scuffle was about to arise...but was pleasantly surprised when Wash added calmly: "Buuuut guess it's fine, this way we get to see Andee's face watching aaaall those chips go away."

York grinned again and happily added five hundred to the pot while Wash did the same. Andee snorted but eyed Wash for a few seconds before smirking as he pushed his cap back by a couple of inches. The two weren't gonna be giving each other handjobs any time soon, but holy hell was it nice to see them showing signs of actual camaraderie. Maybe Samael wasn't so crazy, after all. "Well then, boys...let's see the goods!" He cackled and flipped his pocket cards. "I know Sammy's usually the first to flash the room, but check out these li'l beauties! Trip Fours but...oh wait, those two Queens make that a full-ass-house, don't they??"

"Sonuvabitch!" Samael exclaimed as he tossed his cards into the air, even as he laughed. "Here I was thinkin' -- fer once in my life -- I been saved by an outside straight!!"

York preened and began to lift a hand toward the pot in preparation before blinking when Wash failed to hide the delighted giggle when he turned over his own hole cards, a friggin' pair of Fives. "Awww, sorry, buddy...my house is a little more full than yours! Fives full of Queens!"

York cursed but laughed joyfully all the same as he held out a hand. Wash immediately smacked it with his own palm, his normally-stoic features beaming and filling York with a warmth that knew no equal. "Nice, little buddy, nice!"

"Oh, ya think you're full'a Queens now?" Andee taunted as all three of them tilted their heads and glanced over to him while he stood on his chair with a gigantic grin. "I'll show ya some motherfuckin' Queens!" He cackled and slammed down his hand -- and goddamn, but if he wasn't holding the other two ladies from the deck. York's eyes widened as Samael's jaw dropped, even Wash unable to stop his strangled protest. "Hell fuckin' yeah! That's four of a kind, bitch, one Queen for every fruitcake at this table!!"

He laughed raucously and half-flopped onto the table, nearly spilling their various drinks and snacks as he dragged the laden pot of chips toward himself. "Geezus, what the fuck!" Wash exclaimed before he gestured impatiently at York. "Gimme that deck so I can deal and kick this bat's ass!"

"Hey, hey, one'a you fellow queens is gonna buy me back in, right??" Samael whined with his eyes widened pitifully, York guffawing and hardly hesitating to nudge a thousand or so across the table to his friend...and then grinning with unexpected cheer as Wash huffed and pushed a few chips over to Samael as well.

"Oh no,

no no, you aren't leaving this game before me," Wash mumbled as he gathered the cards up to start shuffling. "I'm gonna kick your ass too for making this whole big dumb gay night happen!"

"Whoa, whoa, no one's gonna kick my big dumb gay puppy's ass 'cept me!" Andee interjected before sniffing and prodding a handful of chips to the grinning rebel. "And no one's gonna have him owe them 'cept me, neither!" He leaned forward with a playful grin while beckoning with a finger, coaxing Samael's delighted features closer so he could shove his nose against the redneck's maw. "You can pay me back with one'a them signature blowjobs, Fiffy!"

It was funny -- Andee had done nothing but bitch earlier about how fewer inhibitions the bats had, but he'd been nothing but guarded with his affections for Samael before now. It brought a smile to York's face seeing him drop that wall, even as he gave a cocky grin of his own and thrust a finger into the air. "Hell yeah, sign me up for one of those, too!"

"Oh god, I'll take my chips back, I don't want one," Wash grumbled as Samael poked his tongue out teasingly.

York laughed and pushed his chair back to go flip the record -- he hadn't even noticed the music come to a stop -- while Andee cackled again and jabbed a finger at Wash. "Oh yeah you do, squirrel-butt, this puppy's blowjobs are the fuckin' things of legend!!"

Wash huffed loudly again and York chuckled while resetting the needle on the record player. "Don't worry, more booze, comin' up. We'll get Wash on board before the night is through!!"

CT was right -- North would have loved this.




.

Powered by Random image